Manti Te'o Admits He Lied to the Media About His Dead Girlfriend, But "Only" for Six Weeks
MANTI TE'O'S interview with KATIE COURIC airs on her show TODAY, but ABC showed a clip from it on "Good Morning America" yesterday. The new development is that Manti admits to Katie that he DID lie to the media, but only "briefly", and NOT about being involved in the hoax in any way.
Basically, that "brief" time was the SIX-WEEK period from December 6th to last week, when the story broke. December 6th is when he got the phone call from his dead girlfriend's cell phone number, where he was told she was ALIVE. And yet, after that he continued to talk about the dead girl Lennay Kekua in interviews, both when asked, and when NOT asked, leading up to the National Championship game.
In his previous, off-camera interview with ESPN, Manti stopped short of saying he LIED. He said he "tailored" his stories when continuing to talk about Lennay because he was confused by the call, and didn't know what the reality was. He'd said that the hoaxers strung him along for a few weeks, by jerking him around with changing stories, and that he wasn't "fully convinced" Lennay was never real until last Wednesday, when the story broke.
So, he's now admitting that he knew he'd been hosed soon after receiving the call. He tells Katie, "Put yourself in my situation. I, my whole world told me that she died on September 12th. Everybody knew that. This girl, who I committed myself to, died on September 12th. Now I get a phone call on December 6th, saying that she's alive, and then I'm going to be put on national TV two days later, and [have people] ask me about [her]. You know, what would you do?"
(You can find video on "Good Morning America's" website, and here's another clip from the show of some legal analyst talking about whether or not the hoaxers could be charged with a crime for what they did.)